10.16.2011

Little Black Dress

“Fashion has two purposes: comfort and love. Beauty comes when fashion succeeds.”

                                                         - Coco Chanel

In 1926, Coco Chanel transformed a color that was associated with mourning into a chic little dress. American Vogue called it “Chanel's Ford." It was sophisticated and timeless. There have been many adaptations to Chanel's charming black dress and they have become staples in every fashionista's wardrobe.

While watching Project Runway last week, I saw how one of the designers cut their fabric to create a circle skirt. I wanted to try out the technique, so I decided to create my own version of Chanel's little black dress.  I worked diligently for hours and was amazed with the end result. Never underestimate the little black dress.